Best Adjustable beds for seniors offer a remarkable solution to enhance comfort and convenience in their daily lives . These innovative beds, equipped with motorized mechanisms, allow seniors to customize their sleeping positions easily, catering to their unique comfort needs.
Whether it’s elevating the head to alleviate snoring or raising the legs to reduce pressure on joints , adjustable beds provide a range of benefits. Beyond the obvious comfort improvements, these beds can also aid in addressing medical conditions such as sleep apnea , acid reflux, and arthritis .
Additionally, many adjustable beds feature user-friendly remote controls, making adjustments effortless for seniors with mobility challenges. With the ability to find the perfect sleeping position and enjoy a restful night’s sleep , adjustable beds play a vital role in enhancing the overall well-being and quality of life for our senior population.
- Lineal By Saatva : The Lineal adjustable bed by Saatva is designed with seniors in mind, offering customizable sleeping positions for optimal comfort and support. With whisper-quiet motors and a user-friendly remote control, it provides a seamless sleep experience for seniors seeking personalized rest .
- Layla Adjustable Base Plus : Layla’s Adjustable Base Plus caters to seniors with its advanced features, allowing them to elevate their head and legs to alleviate discomfort. This adjustable bed boasts a wireless remote, multiple preset positions, and a massage function, making it a versatile choice for seniors seeking both comfort and relaxation.
- Sleep Ez Adjustable Beds : Sleep Ez Adjustable Beds offer seniors the perfect blend of comfort and flexibility. These beds are customizable to various positions, helping seniors find their ideal sleeping arrangement. With user-friendly controls, Sleep Ez Adjustable Beds are a practical choice for seniors looking to improve their sleep quality.
- Adjustable Base by Plushbeds : Plushbeds’ Adjustable Base is a top-tier choice for seniors looking to enhance their sleep experience. It features a range of ergonomic positions, zero-gravity mode, and a wireless remote for effortless adjustments. This base is perfect for seniors seeking luxurious comfort and improved sleep quality.
- Puffy Adjustable Base : The Puffy Adjustable Base is an excellent option for seniors seeking convenience and comfort. With a simple-to-use remote control, it offers customizable head and foot elevation, massage functions, and zero-gravity positioning to provide seniors with a relaxing and restorative night’s sleep.
Lineal By Saatva
Lineal By Saatva transforms your sleep experience with its state-of-the-art design and advanced technology. Crafted for supreme comfort, this adjustable base offers customizable positions to elevate your head and feet, providing unparalleled relaxation. Its whisper-quiet motor ensures a peaceful night’s sleep, while the sturdy construction guarantees long-lasting durability.
- Customizable Head and Foot Positions
- Whisper-Quiet Motor
- Sturdy and Durable Design
Other Users’ Opinion: Users rave about Lineal By Saatva’s seamless adjustment options and its ability to alleviate various sleep issues, enhancing overall sleep quality.
- Customizable Comfort
- Quiet Operation
- Robust Construction
- Higher Price Point
The Perfect Blend of Luxury and Functionality
Layla Adjustable Base Plus
Layla Adjustable Base Plus combines elegance with functionality, offering a range of ergonomic positions to support your body’s natural curvature. Its massage feature relaxes your muscles, promoting deep sleep and relaxation. The wireless remote control ensures effortless adjustments, enhancing user convenience.
- Ergonomic Positions
- Massage Feature
- Wireless Remote Control
Other Users’ Opinion: Users praise Layla Adjustable Base Plus for its massage functionality and user-friendly interface, making it a favorite among those seeking both comfort and style.
- Elegant Design
- Massage Functionality
- Easy-to-Use Remote
- Limited Warranty Period
Tailored Comfort for Your Perfect Sleep
Sleep Ez Adjustable Beds
Sleep Ez Adjustable Beds redefine sleep customization with their adjustable head and foot positions, allowing users to find the optimal angle for utmost comfort. The bed base features a built-in USB port for convenient device charging and a under-bed lighting system for added functionality.
- Adjustable Head and Foot Positions
- Built-in USB Port
- Under-bed Lighting System
Other Users’ Opinion: Users appreciate Sleep Ez Adjustable Beds for their versatile positioning options and convenient built-in features, enhancing the overall sleep experience.
- Versatile Positioning
- Built-in USB Port
- Under-bed Lighting
- Limited Color Options
Elevate Your Sleep to Unmatched Luxury
Adjustable Base by Plushbeds
Plushbeds’ Adjustable Base offers a harmonious blend of luxury and functionality. Its zero-gravity mode relieves pressure on your body, while the dual massage feature promotes relaxation and stress relief. The bed base is designed with a wall-hugging feature, allowing it to seamlessly fit into any bedroom space.
- Zero-Gravity Mode
- Dual Massage Feature
- Wall-Hugging Design
Other Users’ Opinion: Users commend Adjustable Base by Plushbeds for its zero-gravity mode and therapeutic massage feature, providing a luxurious and rejuvenating sleep experience.
- Zero-Gravity Position
- Therapeutic Massage
- Space-Saving Design
- Premium Price Tag
Where Innovation Meets Comfort
Puffy Adjustable Base
Puffy Adjustable Base is a testament to innovation and comfort. Its advanced remote control allows seamless adjustments to find your perfect sleeping or lounging position. The base features a unique anti-snore feature, promoting uninterrupted sleep for both you and your partner.
- Advanced Remote Control
- Anti-Snore Feature
- Multiple Customizable Positions
Other Users’ Opinion: Users highlight Puffy Adjustable Base’s user-friendly controls and anti-snore functionality, making it a top choice for couples and individuals alike .
- Innovative Features
- Anti-Snore Functionality
- User-Friendly Controls
- Limited Availability in Some Regions
|Saatva||Adjustable Base Plus||$1,360||Wireless Remote, Full Body Massage, Zero Gravity|
|Puffy||$1,099||Dual Massage Zones , one click Zero Gravity elevation,|
|Plushbeds||S755||$2,699||Extensive features, Extremely customizable, Massage, Remote and a lot lot more|
|Sleep Ez||iSleepEz||$895||Massage, Back light, One touch remote, 750lb weight capacity|
|Layla||Adjustable Base Plus||$1,199||Wireless Remote, Foot and head massage, Adjustable foot height and more|
Why Adjustable Beds
When you grow older, your body needs more support than when you were young. You are not as agile as you would want to be. Aches and pain are constant companions. The most trivial tasks like getting in and out of bed could seem herculean. A bit of support could go a long way during these trying times. If you don’t have someone young to help you, you would expect some other means to assist you in this time of need. Adjustable beds can help you rest comfortably in bed. Apart from being able to lie down you have a wider range of positions for comfort and therapeutic benefits.
If you are suffering from Back problems, or have undergone surgery of any kind, an adjustable bed could add comfort to your lifestyle. It becomes easier to sit up in bed and spend that extra time you need in bed, resting. While normal beds are good for laying down, it’s not the best option to sit. If you have had a recent surgery or have a medical condition , it’s imperative that you would spend a lot of time in bed. You will most likely not be comfortable lying down the entire day. Sitting down in bed should be comfortable with adequate back support. This is easier with an adjustable bed rather than a normal bed where you prop pillows for supporting your back.
Positioning adjustable beds to certain positions have known to have benefits for healing and general health. Some positions improve blood circulation while others support your back, prevent snoring or improved digestion. An Adjustable bed will be one of the best investments for your health if you are a senior.
Buying the Best Adjustable Beds for Seniors
With the recent surge in the use of adjustable beds at home and the availability from a range of vendors and wide models with variant features, it becomes confusing for most people to decide on the right adjustable beds. If you are older and do not have the time or energy for a marketing hunt, The task of purchasing an adjustable bed could be very daunting.
Some of the best adjustable beds are not about brands. This makes it even more difficult to find the right product. Notable brands are few and reviews are fewer. The Adjustable bed market is scattered among a lot of new players and finding the right brand, the right model and the right product could be key.
When purchasing an adjustable bed, look for your needs first. What are your requirements? Is it just supporting your back? Ability to sit in bed longer? Are you going to spend more than 12 hours in bed? Are you having difficulty getting in and out of bed? If your adjustable beds can answer these questions to your satisfaction, every other feature is just a bonus. You may or may not want preset positions. You may want automatic foot lighting or you already have a lamp which you are comfortable with. You may or may not care for the Zero-G position that most adjustable beds offer. Every other feature which companies provide is for the benefit of the customer but also to entice prospective buyers to buy.
What you should look for when buying an Adjustable bed if you are Elderly?
Height: one of the few overlooked factors of an adjustable bed is the height. When purchasing an adjustable bed for seniors, you should consider height as the primary factor. If the bed height , with the mattress, is too high or too low, it becomes harder for the person to get in and out of bed. Most adjustable beds which are commercially used are not designed for medical purposes. These beds cannot move you to a sitting position or help you to get out of bed. You will need to get in and out of bed normally. A good bed height is what you should look at. The perfect height for a bed for seniors would be just a bit higher than their knee height or to the height of the mid-thigh with the mattress placed. This could be anywhere between 16 inches to 20 inches, depending on the person’s height. An adjustable mattress with adjustable height is a great option.
Size: Most elders do not move often in bed especially if they are suffering from back problems. This does not mean the Twin or twin xl size would suffice even if they are the single occupant of the bed. Consider a slightly wider size to help movement in bed. If you have a bed partner you would want to consider a dual-side adjustable bed with or without adjustable settings on the other side. Consider a wider option like the King instead of a queen if you or your partner are heavy. While you would have been very comfortable with the Queen beds before the adjustable bed, you may thank yourself for the extra space with the adjustable bed.
Lifting capacity: Adjustable beds come with a motor which helps lift parts of the bed. These motors have a certain capacity they can lift and are usually mentioned in the catalog. The lifting capacity of the adjustable bed is inclusive of the weight of the mattress. Most adjustable beds will have a lifting capacity of 600 lbs. While this may seem perfect for a normal bed added to a person who is less than 200 lbs, it may not be the best option for a person who is heavy or using a heavier mattress. Most motors are not covered under warranty and after a year, when the warranty is void, the cost of replacing the motor or purchasing a new one could add up to the cost. Consider purchasing an adjustable bed which has a higher weight limit if you are heavy or use a heavier mattress .
Mattress: You will need a good mattress to go with your adjustable bed and it needs to be compatible. Mattress companies are a bit tricky and they would prefer that you buy their brand of adjustable beds which are compatible with their mattresses. Most mattresses which are compatible with adjustable beds will work great on almost any brand of adjustable beds. But to be on the safer side, consider asking the mattress company if the warranty is valid if the mattress if used on a certain adjustable bed. Most mattress types are compatible with adjustable beds. Hybrid mattresses are considered to be one of the best for pressure relief and comfort. But you can also go with the latex or memory foam mattress if that is comfortable for you . Check the mattresses section below for more details on how to consider your mattress.
Budget: If your Medicare is not going to share the cost of your adjustable bed for any reason, you may want to fix a set budget for your adjustable bed purchase. Most adjustable beds will cost you $1000 or more. The features of most of the beds will be almost the same with minor differences. Aesthetics add to the price too. The quality of the adjustable bed has to do a lot with the price itself. Look for sturdy construction, preferably metal. Ensure the slats are closely placed and the warranty is good and to your satisfaction.
Warranty: Most Adjustable beds come with a minimum 1-year warranty with full replacement of parts and service on the same. A 5-year warranty comes with service but the cost of parts will be extra and may incur charges for replacement of parts. Very rarely do companies offer warranties for more than 5 years but there are a few. Find a product which the company would vouch for. A product with a good warranty has a lot to say about its quality and you can rest assured that there is help when needed, in case something goes wrong.
The best adjustable Bed Reviews
one of the most reviewed adjustable bases. It has a simple design and basic features. It’s easy to assemble the frame is rugged. The Nectar Sleep adjustable bases come with a 50-day trial and a money-back guarantee.
The plush beds Remote Controlled Bed – Elevate E255 has both head and foot elevation. The bed allows a maximum weight of 750 lbs and comes with preset positions of Zero Gravity, anti-snore and flat. The metal frame comes with Two-tone black upholstery and a backlit wireless remote control
The Puffy Adjustable base comes with 101 Night sleep trial, a Lifetime warranty and 2 -5 business day free delivery. The Base is easy to set up and works with all mattresses. The Adjustable base has a dual massage zone with a 3-speed independent motor. The Puffy adjustable base can be setup n 5 different height options. It comes with a universal headboard mount and dual USB charging port
Layla Adjustable Base Plus
The Layla Adjustable base comes with an anti-skid deck, one-touch zero gravity settings, dual massage zones, variable height options Alexa and google app-enabled and underleg lighting. The base is available in split king options. The base is easy to assemble
Amerisleep Adjustable base comes with Head and foot elevation, Adjustable height legs, Customizable settings, free shipping and a 10-year warranty. Awarded the best adjustable bed in the year 2022 by The strategist, greatest among others, the bed is loaded with features including a remote, under the light bed, rolling wave massage, and an ultra quiet motor.
Mattresses for Seniors with Adjustable beds
- Supportive, Pressure relieving
- Contouring and conforming
- Easy to move
- Edge support
- Heat retention
- Compatible with adjustable beds
Mattresses for seniors require careful consideration. Unlike most millennials or the younger demographic, the elders require a completely different set of features when it comes to mattresses. Seniors should go for a mattress which is medium firm and conforming and one which does not retain heat. Edge support and motion transfer are key requirements of mattresses for seniors. While a bit of bounce is encouraging for the younger group, if you are above 50, you would want a mattress which is free of motion transfer. Since you are going to spend a bit more time sitting on the edge every time you wake up, edge support is key too.
Latex Mattress for seniors
Latex mattresses are the most preferred mattresses for seniors. They do not retain heat and are antimicrobial and natural. Most latex is free from allergens. With the right brand, you should be able to get a mattress which is 100% natural and free from chemicals. Latex mattresses are durable, contouring and easy to move around.
Memory Foam Mattresses For seniors
Memory foam mattresses are a bit cheaper than most latex mattresses. It’s not natural and it retains a bit of heat. Apart from these 2 drawbacks, they meet every other feature of a latex mattress . They are conforming and contour to your body shape. They are tested to be pressure relieving and supporting your body. Some patients have been known to be allergic to memory foam due to all the chemicals involved with the process of manufacturing the mattress.
Hybrid Mattresses for the elderly
Hybrid mattresses are the least recommended for elders. Hybrid mattresses are constructed with encased springs and topped with foam or latex layers. The spring allows a lot of heat to dissipate but it also is a cause of concern for people who are finicky about movement. Motion transfer is a common problem with hybrids when compared with a normal memory foam or latex mattress . While most companies will claim that the motion transfer in their brand of a hybrid mattress is minimal, it’s in no way comparable to a pure hybrid or latex mattress. Apart from this drawback, hybrid mattresses are excellent in all other areas. They are extremely pressure relieving. they offer better pressure relief than some of the pure latex or pure foam mattresses . They contour and conform to your body shape well and their heat retention is minimal.
Features of an adjustable bed for seniors that you should seriously consider.
- Easy Setup: For seniors, this could be the biggest challenge. Moving heavy parts around and getting to understand the setting up of the adjustable beds could be daunting . With easy setup features, it could be done faster and without effort. Some companies do offer free white glove delivery and setup. This takes the entire worry off of setting up your adjustable beds.
- Massage Zone: Massage zones are one of the base features on almost all adjustable beds these days. Some of them are excellent and some of them are simply mediocre. Most companies offer a 2-zone massage while some others provide a wave massage or superior 3-zone massage.
- Zero Gravity : One of the most commonly used position to relieve tension and create a balanced weight throughout the body. Supportive for lumbar and back pain. Feels like floating with the right mattress. Recommended for therapy.
- Remote Control : Remote controls are useful specially if you want the occupant to adjust the position by themselves. It needs to be intuitive yet complete with features. Wireless remote should be preferred to a wired one. Easy control is important for seniors
- Headboard attachment : Not one of the important features unless you are looking at aesthetics or using your head board for support while you are sitting down.
- USB chargers: Easy to charge your phone and electronic device. A small addition could go a long way when it comes to convenience and the USB chargers are usually handy for most seniors who find it difficult to walk to the socket every time they need to charge or look at a message while charging
- Lighting: One of the most important features for seniors. LED foot lighting can help illuminate the way, to find your footwear when you want to visit the washroom. Some Adjustable beds have automatic LED lighting with motion detection. This is the best option to go for.
- Leg height: Adjustable leg height is one of the features you should look into. If you are in a store, you could test the bed and check the height of the adjustable bed. When you purchase a bed online, you want to be sure that at least some of the features are adjustable. The leg height is one of them.
- Split adjustable: If you and your partner are sharing a bed, check for a split size with different setting options. This way you will not be forcing your partner to pick the same settings as yours.
- Easy Customization To comfort: Changing from sitting to zero and a normal flatbed should not be a hassle for seniors. Make sure that there are preset settings, easy-to-customize positions and more with an easy touch of a button.
- Zero Noise motor: Noise-free motor also indicates the health of the motor itself. Over time the motor may get a bit noisy but you want to ensure that the motor is noise-free when new. Ensure that the warranty covers the motor.
Conditions that May Benefit from an Adjustable Bed
- Degenerative spondylolisthesis.
- Spinal Stenosis .
Medicare for Adjustable beds
Medicare does not pay for adjustable beds in most cases unless a physician deems it necessary for you. In some cases, this may be a requirement if you have undergone surgery . Some private insurance firms may also be able to assist you with the purchase of the adjustable beds and they are tax deductible if medically required. In any case, it’s a good idea to consult your Medicare representative before your purchase and ask for assistance. You may also consider asking your physician how to proceed as most physicians have experience in the matter
Q: What are the benefits of using adjustable beds for seniors? A: Adjustable beds offer several benefits for seniors. They provide enhanced comfort and support, allowing seniors to find the most comfortable sleeping position. Adjustable beds can alleviate common issues like back pain , acid reflux, and poor circulation. They also promote ease of movement and can assist with getting in and out of bed, which is particularly beneficial for seniors with mobility challenges.
Q: Are adjustable beds suitable for all seniors? A: While adjustable beds can be beneficial for many seniors, it’s essential to consider individual needs and health conditions. It’s recommended to consult with a healthcare professional to determine if an adjustable bed is suitable, especially for individuals with specific medical conditions or concerns.
Q: What features should I look for in an adjustable bed for seniors? A: When choosing an adjustable bed for seniors, consider features such as adjustable head and foot positions, multiple preset positions for convenience, a user-friendly remote control, quiet operation, sturdy construction, and a comfortable mattress that offers appropriate support. Additionally, features like massage functionality and under-bed lighting can provide added comfort and convenience.
Q: Are adjustable beds difficult to set up? A: Adjustable beds typically come with detailed instructions and are designed to be relatively easy to set up. However, it’s recommended to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and, if needed, seek assistance from a family member, friend, or professional for assembly.
Q: Can I use any mattress with an adjustable bed? A: While many mattresses are compatible with adjustable beds, it’s crucial to choose a mattress specifically designed for use with an adjustable base. Look for mattresses that are flexible, durable, and able to conform to different positions without compromising their integrity. Memory foam, latex, and air mattresses are commonly used with adjustable beds.
Q: Are adjustable beds covered by warranty? A: Yes, most adjustable beds come with a warranty that covers different components such as the base, motors, and electronics. The duration and coverage of the warranty can vary depending on the manufacturer and model, so it’s important to review the warranty terms before making a purchase.