This article is supported by our readers. We earn a commission through links with no extra cost to you.
Pros and Cons of a Pillowtop MattressPillow top mattress is an improvement on the traditional innerspring mattress which has been in use for many years. Pillow top mattresses add comfort to the innerspring mattress by providing an additional padded layer on top of the mattress. This layer is made from foam or feathers for that extra softness and comfort. But like all products, pillow top mattresses too, have their pros and cons.
Pillow Top Mattresses – Pros
Some of the positive points of pillow top mattresses are
- The mattresses are quite comfortable and have a soft feel. The extra padding gives more comfort to the person using the mattress. Back and side sleepers are said to benefit more from this mattress.
- Good support is another positive point in favor of pillow top mattresses
- A number of users were satisfied with the affordability of the mattress. This is especially true since memory foam mattresses are quite expensive and many customers were able to get the same comfort with the pillow top mattress.
- A few customers (about 10%) also felt relief from back pain after using this mattress.
- Many customers were satisfied with the quality of the mattress and its sturdiness
Pillow Top Mattresses – Cons
Some of the negative points of pillow top mattresses are
- Heat is one of the major complaints about the pillow top mattress. This problem is especially critical when the top layer of the mattress is made of memory foam or other dense materials which radiate heat
- Price-conscious customers or those with a fixed budget find the pillow top mattresses to be more expensive than innerspring mattresses.
- If the top layer is not of good quality, the pillow top mattress develops indentations. All soft mattresses which contour to the body of the sleeper do develop indentations, but when they sink deeper than normal, then it is considered a manufacturing defect. The feather of foam on top layer may also shift and cause indents.
- The pillow top mattresses also require deeper fitted sheets. Since the thickness of the mattress is bigger than the normal standard mattress, the fitted sheets too, need to have deeper pockets for them to fit the mattress
- A few customers found the pillow top mattress to be too soft