Pros and Cons of a Pillowtop Mattress
Pillow top mattress is an improvement on the traditional innerspring mattress which has been in use for many years. Pillow top mattresses add comfort to the innerspring mattress by providing an additional padded layer on top of the mattress. This layer is made from foam or feathers for that extra softness and comfort. But like all products, pillow top mattresses too, have their pros and cons.
Pillow Top Mattresses – Pros
Some of the positive points of pillow top mattresses are
- The mattresses are quite comfortable and have a soft feel. The extra padding gives more comfort to the person using the mattress. Back and side sleepers are said to benefit more from this mattress.
- Good support is another positive point in favor of pillow top mattresses
- A number of users were satisfied with the affordability of the mattress. This is especially true since memory foam mattresses are quite expensive and many customers were able to get the same comfort with the pillow top mattress.
- A few customers (about 10%) also felt relief from back pain after using this mattress.
- Many customers were satisfied with the quality of the mattress and its sturdiness
Pillow Top Mattresses – Cons
Compare the different mattress from Nest Bedding® or other brands and find which suits your needs. Nest Bedding® has bestowed multiple offers for their prominent and top-rated mattress products. Click here to know more…
Some of the negative points of pillow top mattresses are
- Heat is one of the major complaints about the pillow top mattress. This problem is especially critical when the top layer of the mattress is made of memory foam or other dense materials which radiate heat
- Price-conscious customers or those with a fixed budget find the pillow top mattresses to be more expensive than innerspring mattresses.
- If the top layer is not of good quality, the pillow top mattress develops indentations. All soft mattresses which contour to the body of the sleeper do develop indentations, but when they sink deeper than normal, then it is considered a manufacturing defect. The feather of foam on top layer may also shift and cause indents.
- The pillow top mattresses also require deeper fitted sheets. Since the thickness of the mattress is bigger than the normal standard mattress, the fitted sheets too, need to have deeper pockets for them to fit the mattress
- A few customers found the pillow top mattress to be too soft
What are the precautions that can be taken to keep the mattress in shape?
Do Pillowtop mattresses need flipping?
Flipping the mattress is one option of reducing the indents or sinking effect. But pillow top mattresses cannot be flipped unless they are quilted on both sides. This makes the mattress very expensive. Also, manufacturers claim that the pillow top mattresses do not need flipping.
Are all pillow top mattresses good?
Not all pillow top mattresses are made from the same material and those made from cheaper foam make the mattresses sink faster. Pillow top mattresses’ top layers have to be made from high-quality memory foam or latex for it to last longer. Double sided pillow top mattresses also last longer since the mattress can be turned over. One sided mattresses need to have quality material for it to last.
How do you choose a good pillow top mattress?
Most of the good and popular brands sell these type of mattresses. Some of them are Sealy Posturepedic, Serta Perfect Sleeper, Simmons Beautyrest Recharge, Restonic Comfort care etc. Most of the mattress makers rename the same type of mattress for different companies with very little variations. Most of the mattresses may have similar features under different brand names. So customers are recommended to go through user reviews and warranty terms to choose the right mattress to suit their needs.