This article is supported by our readers. We earn a commission through links with no extra cost to you.
The best mattress for scoliosis is the one which conforms to the body. It needs to provide the right pressure at the right places. Too much or too little pressure will create pain to the person’s body or be too uncomfortable. Before we get into the right mattress for scoliosis patients its important to understand the requirements of the patient.
- A mattress which conforms to the body yet be firm and supportive
- A mattress which does not sleep too hot
- A mattress with no motion disturbance
- A mattress which is essentially easy to move around in
- A mattress which will allow zoned comfort levels
- Free from allergy and chemicals
- Optional Adjustable Bed compatible
There may be more requirements based on some patients. Some people may prefer a natural material. If you are a side sleeper or a stomach sleeper you may want a different kind of comfort levels. If you have undergone surgery, the requirements may vary slightly. Lets play into all these factors and figure out some of the mattress in the industry and how good they are for scoliosis patients
Pressure Relief and Firmness
The most important of all the factors for a scoliosis patient is a mattress which is medium or medium firm, yet provides the right Pressure relief. Memory foam mattresses were known to provide the best pressure relief. Today technology has evolved and some latex mattresses do provide better pressure relief than memory foam mattresses. Hybrid mattresses too have equaled or excelled in terms of pressure relief.
Pressure relief Ranking by Mattress type
- Memory Foam 7
- gel Infused Memory foam 7
- Latex 8
- Hybrid pocketed innerspring 9
Research indicates that innerspring mattress provides the best pressure relief when compared to other types of mattresses. Individual pocketed coils allows the mattress to conform to the weight of the person , allowing the pressure to be balanced throughout the body. Memory foam mattresses and latex are continuous sheets and does do a good job in providing pressure relief undoubtedly but its entirely based on the weight of the person and the density of the foam. Its not uncommon to find people who find a perfect memory foam or latex mattress to their comfort, often better than hybrid mattresses.
TIP : Its better to find a mattress which is the firmest and comfortable to you. Over time, the mattress will soften and you will find the mattress to your taste. If you find the mattress a bit too firm after a few weeks, you can always throw in a topper which is soft and it will be perfect, giving you a softer feel on the top, yet a balanced firm feel.
Saatva Mattress – A Hybrid mattress which is Chiropractic seal Approved. It is medium firm, Pillow top versions available.
Plushbeds Botanical Bliss – Botanical bliss is a Latex mattress which provides the best support in medium or medium firm variation. You can also change the firmness level of your partner if they want a different setting.
The bear mattress – A simple firm mattress which is used by sport professionals for better recovery. Its firm and the top layer is copper infused Foam
The Puffy Mattress – The puffy mattress is Firm yet soft, gel infused and the basic of all mattresses.
Responsiveness and Heat retention
Responsiveness is one of the most discussed factors when it comes to Mattress since the evolution of memory foam mattresses. Memory foam mattresses were sought out for their comfort levels but over time people realized that it did have a few disadvantages. One of the biggest disadvantages was responsiveness. Memory foam mattresses conform excellently well but when you need to move around , it takes a lot more effort. A firm memory foam reduces the effort in moving around the mattress but it reduces the comfort level of the person sleeping on it. Latex mattress are comparatively easier to move around and have a better responsiveness than memory foam. The hybrid is one of the best when it comes to responsiveness.
When it comes to heat retention, the Memory foam mattress ranks extremely low. The Gel infused is far better than the Memory foam mattress. The Hybrid mattress allows airflow and creates a suitable sleep platform.
When it comes to scoliosis, you want to ensure that the person gets undisturbed sleep through out. Inability to move around can wake the person just to move around. Heat usually will not allow the person to sleep and if they fall asleep, they may wake up just because its too hot after a while. Creating a perfect sleep platform is important for a person even if they are not suffering from any condition.
- Saatva : Better airflow. Reduced heat retention and extremely responsive
- Plushbeds : Breathable covers with Wool for temperature regulation.
- Bear mattress : Copper infused Gel foam for temperature regulation with Celliant breathable cover.
- Puffy Mattress : Breathable Climate adaptive Regulating technology.
Motion isolation is not a key factor for People suffering from scoliosis specially if they are sleeping single. If you have a partner, then this factor comes to play. When it comes to motion isolation, a hybrid will do comparitively bad as compared to memory foam or latex. Latex mattresses and memory foam mattresses dont pass the bounce to the other side of the mattress. The movement is isolated best in a momory foam mattress or latex. As compared to an innerspring , the hybrid performs a lot better but its not perfect when it comes to the latex or memory foam. If you are the only person sleeping on your mattress, you need not be concerned about this factor at all.
Adjustable Beds – Something to consider for Scoliosis patients
A mattress is wonderful but its even better to add a bit of more customization with an adjustable base. This is tricky if you are a side sleeper and are suffering from Scoliosis, The right adjustment to your mattress can give you a perfect feel. With an adjustable bed you have a lot more options to customize your mattress an get the perfect level of comfort you need. If you mattress is compatible with adjustable base, chances are you can try out a few settings. Consult a spine specialist to find out if an Adjustable bed would be “OK” before going for one.
best mattress for side sleepers with scoliosis
The best mattress for side sleepers suffering from Scoliosis is clearly a hybrid mattress. A hybrid mattress with medium firmness should provide the right comfort for side sleepers. If your mattress is a bit too firm, add a topper . Ensure your topper is not more than 2-3 inches thick. If your topper is too thick , you will lose the support the firm mattress provides.
The best mattress for Side sleepers include Saatva and Bear hybrid. The bear hybrid is a medium firm mattress and will support your back well. Many customers who purchase the mattress thinking it to be on the softer side have complaints that it is actually a bit too firm. Consider purchasing a topper if you find the mattress too hard to your liking.
Best mattress after scoliosis surgery
Any Mattress you choose after a surgery, May it be scoliosis surgery or any back related surgery will require you to be comfortable in bed for a longer period of time. You will be spending a lot of time in bed, mostly almost all of the first week. You need to be able to sit comfortably in the bed and also sleep well. Mattress sores are often a problem with people who lie down for a longer period of time. A mattress which will have proper airflow is important. You need to consider an adjustable bed with a compatible mattress for post surgery recovery. For scoliosis Recovery, a mattress needs you to be firm , yet comfortable. It should be soft to touch. You dont want to sleep on a mattress which is too hard and uncomfortable. Ensure that the mattress does not give in. A medium firm mattress will always be the best choice. Going any softer than a medium firm is not recommended. Avoid pillow tops and toppers.
#1 Saatva Mattress : Its a hybrid and offers a firm and medium firm mattress. Its compatible with adjustable bases and has excellent airflow. Chances of you sleeping hot is next to none.
#2 Latex For Less Mattress : A pure latex mattress which is flippable. You have one firm side and the other Softer side. You can always choose the softer side after you have a full recovery
#3 Avocado green Mattress : A Latex hybrid mattress with a firm base. Its got wonderful airflow and is all natural. Its compatible with adjustable beds.
#4 Bear mattress : a variation of Hybrid and pure foam mattress with gel cooling technology and a Celliant Recovery cover. One of the best sellers all around the year.
Pros And Cons Of Memory foam mattress for Scoliosis
- Get the comfort Level of your choice : Memory foam mattress can be firm to extremely soft. You can get the right firmness from one of the mattress ranges. Some brands have really firm mattresses and soft ones too to chose from.
- Better support : Memory foam mattress is known to provide better support. They were made initially for better pressure relief.
- No noise : No springs, no noise. You can turn around jump on it and try your best. IT will not make any noise at all, For life.
- Motion Isolation : If you have a partner in bed, chances are they will move while you are sleeping. If you dont want to feel the movements of the partner next to you, memory foam mattresses are your go to beds.
- Hard to move around : Memory foam mattresses are known to be hard to move on. Its one of the reasons why people dont prefer the memory foam mattress. Getting a firmer mattress can solve this problem to an extent. When you are already suffering from conditions and have problems sleeping, you want to be sure that moving on your mattress in sleep does not wake you up.
- Sleeps hot : Another problem with memory foam mattress is that it sleeps hot. If you are suffering from scoliosis, you will find it difficult to sleep on a foam mattress which retains heat. Gel top mattress can reduce the heat to some extent.
Pros and cons of Latex mattress for Scoliosis
- Conforming and Pressure Relieving : Latex stands on par with Memory foam when it comes to pressure relief and conformance. It depends on the type of latex mattress you pick. Talalay is much softer and gives in easily. Dunlop is far better and provides a better support
- Support and Durability : With a Dunlop Latex mattress, you need not worry about support much but if you have a strong support layer with A talalay layer which is no more than 2 inches thick, you can be sure that the mattress will provide the right support you need for scoliosis patients. It will be soft yet firm. Also , You can expect a latex mattress to outlive both memory foam and Hybrid mattresses
- Multiple firmness options : Most Latex mattress companies will offer multiple firmness options for you to chose from. From firm, medium firm to really plush, you will have a wider range of options. There are flippable latex mattresses which can be firm on one side and medium firm on the other.
- Ease to move : Though its easier to move around a latex mattress as compared to a memory foam mattress, its not the best option. It does take a bit of effort to move around the mattress.
Best mattress for scoliosis brace
Special Scoliosis braces are often recommended by Doctors for patients suffering from Scoliosis. These braces are uncomfortable to sleep with. Considering the condition , the braces make it a lot worse. Most braces will allow you to sleep on one of your sides (depending on how your scoliosis has affected you), your back and the stomach. Sleeping on your back could be easier but sleeping on your stomach will restrict you a lot and may not be very comfortable. With all these factors in mind, the best mattress you can chose from will always be a hybrid or a Memory foam mattress. A good hybrid mattress with medium firmness should be able to absorbe the pressure and posture well. This will give you a comfortable sleep without the brace pinching on your skin. A mattress too soft will be very hard to sleep with and may cause bruises. A firm mattress will put unnecessary pressure on certain areas of your body, specially on the edges of the braces.
Saatva mattress : If you are sleeping with a Scoliosis brace on , We recommend the saatva mattress. We do not recommend memory foam or Latex mattress in this case. Saatva is technically one of the most stable mattresses which can support your back and with the braces, very few companies can assure you the comfort that saatva can offer.
Can a bad bed cause scoliosis
No. Scoliosis cannot be caused because you have a bad bed or mattress. 80% of scoliosis have no causes or causes cannot be determined. The remaining 20% may be caused due to birth defects, Infections, cerebral palsy, Genetic Conditions and tumours. There is no indication that a poor mattress can cause scoliosis.
Scoliosis Mattress for children
Soft vs firm mattress for scoliosis patients
Research shows that a firm mattress is better than a softer one for patients with scoliosis. A soft mattress may feel a lot comfortable to sleep on but will put pressure on your back and body in general. Doctors recommend that you opt for the most firm mattress which is comfortable to you. If the mattress is too firm to your liking, you can always add a topper after a weeks trial. If its softer than it needs to be, chances are you are going to find it unusable after a while and the pain will never subside for as long as you keep using it.
The mattress should be firm enough that any firmer and you would not be able to sleep on it. Toppers shouldnt be any more than 2 -3 inches thick. A thicker topper will only reduce the purpose of a firm mattress.
Pillow top Vs Mattress toppers for Scoliosis patients
Most mattresses for Scoliosis patients are Firm. Thats the recommendations most doctors will give you. A medium firm mattress should be your best option. At times the firm mattress may not be too convenient and cause sleep related problems. In such cases, its recommended that you add a topper. A topper should be no more than 3 inches thick. It should not affect the firm base of your mattress and should not let you sink in too much. The topper should be an option only when the mattress is too uncomfortable to sleep in. Most mattresses when new will be a bit firm and uncomfortable to sleep on. After a week , sometimes 2 weeks, the mattress tends to soften up. If your mattress is new, Try to sleep on it for a week or 2 before deciding to purchase a topper. Chances are you will find your mattress comfortable withhout one. Pillow top mattresses on the other hand are not recommended at all. Pillow top mattresses are usually plush and will affect pressure points. When you are suffering from scoliosis you will want to ensure that there is no unnecessary pressure on any part of your body.
Mattress foundations for people suffering from Scoliosis
A firm base is key for people suffering from Scoliosis. The foundation should be sturdy and firm and should not bounce. Box springs are clearly not an option for this situation. An adjustable base or slatted foundation should do great. A Box spring will add more bounce to the mattress and will compromise the support of your mattress. Even with a firm mattress, the box spring will provide a bit of bounce and this is usually not recommended. An adjustable base is the best kind of foundation for people suffering from scoliosis. If its too expensive or not to your liking , pick a Simple frame or foundation which is sturdy.