This article is supported by our readers. We earn a commission through links with no extra cost to you.
Removal of old blood stains is a problem for most women. Especially, during the time of menstrual cycles, you will stain a lot. Even we feel embarrassed many times, since we spent our most of the time on bed. Like clothes, we cannot go for washing our mattresses. It becomes more difficult to remove the old stains which require lots of applications. Many cleaning fluids even damage the fibers. Nothing can be made easy with one try. But if we try to our maximum level we can reduce the stains to the large extend.
Some tips to remove the stains
There are certain preparative steps you should do before switching onto certain methods
- Blotting: You should rub the area with cold water. Don’t use hot or lukewarm water for stain removal as this will set the stain in the cloth itself.
- Follow the same pattern again: Once again you have to repeat the above step, but this time use a dry cloth instead of the wet ones to absorb the remaining moisture from the dampened garment.
- Care should be taken: Do not rub; you have to just blot the area. Since rubbing might cause the stain to spread deep into the mattress.
- Continue the same process: Repeat the same blotting process again and again until the stain is completely vanished.
Do the following steps if the stain still persists
There are different methods for stain removal. But initially it is always recommended to switch to Cold Saltwater method.
Cold Saltwater method
- Mix 1 cup of cold water with 2 teaspoons of salt and pour the solution into the spray bottle.
Care should be taken to use only cold water in this mixing.
- Don’t get worry thinking there is no spray bottle with me. You can just wet a white cloth in this saltwater solution and clean it on the affected area. In case of large stains start from the edges and come to the center to prevent this from spreading.
- Repeat the same process of spraying and blotting with a dry cloth until the stains are vanished completely.
- Now rinse thoroughly with a cloth soaked in cold water to clean the remaining solution.
- Again use the towel to dry the area.
The Best Latex Mattress : Find out why Latex For less sells is one of the best selling latex mattress online
Detergent and Water method
- Combine both 1 tablespoon of liquid dish washing detergent with 2 cups of cold water in a bowl to form a detergent solution.
- Dip a clean white cloth to this solution and apply this to the affected area.
- Now brush the affected area with a toothbrush. But don’t scrub too much as this may cause the stain to penetrate into the deeper areas.
- Blot the stain with a clean wet cloth.
- Use a cloth moistened with clean water to rinse the remaining solution.
- Make the mattress completely dry with a dry cloth.
Baking Soda Method
- Mix one part baking soda and two parts cold water in a huge bowl.
- Apply the solution on the stains with a clean cloth and allow it to sit for about 30 minutes.
- Now use a cloth dipped in cold water to clean the remaining solution.
- Wipe with a dry towel to absorb the moisture and ensure whether it’s completely dry.
Salt and Hydrogen Peroxide Method
- Unite 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of salt and ¼ cup of hydrogen peroxide in a paste form in a small bowl.
- With a spoon apply the paste on the affected area. Allow it to dry completely and scrap away the excess dried paste with the help of a spoon.
- After this step vacuum this area for the complete removal of the remaining dried paste.
- Use protective gloves while handling blood stains which is not yours as a preventive measure to avoid any blood-borne diseases.
- Inhaling of ammonia may lead to serious injuries.
- Avoid using anything hot on the stains. Since the heat will fix the protein in the blood and will not remove the stain permanently.
Recommended Reading : The best mattress for Spinal Fusion and back surgery now revealed