This article is supported by our readers. We earn a commission through links with no extra cost to you.
- Loom And Leaf : The Luxury Memory foam mattress by saatva comes in 2 firmness levels. Being a memory foam mattress, the Loom and leaf has the least motion transfer. Its cooling gel foam keeps the mattress cooler. The loom and leaf mattress comes with a 15 Year warranty and a 120 Night trial.
- Nectar Sleep Mattress : For those who want a real firm mattress, the nectar sleep mattress is for you. The memory foam mattress is one of the most affordable mattresses in the industry. If you are pregnant and a bit over 150 lbs, the Nectar mattress is perfect for you. It’s supportive and pressure relieving. Consider purchasing a Latex or memory foam topper for better comfort.
- Bear Mattress : The best mattress for athletes, the bear mattress has celliant covers which helps people recover from their daily fatigue. If you are pregnant, the bear mattress can help with your sleep, recover faster and have a better day, every day.
- The Latex For Less Mattress : A pure latex Mattress Which can be flipped. One side medium firm and the other Firm. Perfect for people who are not sure about what kind of mattress to go for. Latex for less is extremely durable and has a simple construction. All organic material makes this mattress one of the best in the industry
- Plushbeds : Plushbeds offers both , pure latex and a latex hybrid mattress. The pure Latex Mattress the Botanical Bliss Mattress is recommended by chiropractors and works great for people with back problems. The Plushbeds come with 3 different heights and 2 firmness levels. They also have a split version of the king, Queen and California king sizes.
Pregnancy is a period of feelings. Mostly positive, Thank god. It’s exciting, but creates anxiety and with a bit of tension and uncertainty. But above all, there is hope. You are not sure if it’s going to be a boy or a girl yet. You are wondering what you should do for the kid’s room? Wallpapers or paint? Should you relocate after birth? Which is the right school? Which college should the child attend… and all that thought…. Hold it for a moment. Take it one step ahead.
Pregnancy is also the time when the mother goes through a lot of body changes. There is hormonal imbalance, Anxiety, Nausea, Cramps, Back pain, Swollen legs and heartburn, Not to mention all that weird cravings. This is also the time the “would Be” mother needs the most amount of rest. And the best gift she can use now would be a mattress which will help her sleep better.
Types of Mattress for Pregnancy
The first time I was looking for a mattress which is best suited for my pregnant wife, every website I checked recommended a memory foam or a latex mattress. I thought that it had something to do with recommending the kind of products the vendors sell or some kind of marketing technique to put the memory foam mattress to the front. Why exactly would people recommend memory foam mattresses and latex mattresses when hybrid mattresses were so good and one of the best sellers in the industry? It did not make much sense at all. But then i realized some of the vendors who sell only hybrid mattresses were recommending pure memory foam mattresses, which they did not sell at all. Did not make sense to market a product type which they did not sell at all, unless the product was actually good.
That’s how i came across some of the best memory foam and latex mattresses in the industry and found out why these mattresses were recommended. When you or your partner is pregnant, you make instinctive decisions which often turns out to be a bad one in the long run. It may not be really bad, but you would end up realizing that a few minutes of research would have saved you the pain of replacing the mattress and/or saving a bit of money. In the excitement of the moment, if you purchase a mattress which you think would fit the current requirement based on some salesperson recommendation, chances are you are going to regret it, especially if the sales person has no clue about pregnancy!
Before you go shopping for your next mattress, make a list of things you know and you expect. You know that the first priority is to make the person pregnant very comfortable in bed, get them enough rest. You know that the person will gain a bit of weight over the course of time. You also know that you will be sharing the bed with the partner or not. What you can expect are things like a lot of movement in bed. The person pregnant will be visiting the bathroom more often. You can expect a lot of movement in bed, shifting positions. You can also expect a bit of back pain and hip pains over the course of time. When you purchase a mattress, make note of all these things. It will help you purchase the right mattress. Remember that a mattress should outlast your pregnancy too. So making a decision based on Just the 9 months is not really a sensible move. Think long term! Expect the mattress to last 7-8 years.
With all these factors in mind, consider your options and the type of mattress you need to purchase.
Hybrid Mattresses were my first option to check and I was under the impression that they would suit best for pregnancy. This unfortunately is not the case for most hybrid mattresses. While hybrid mattresses are conforming, good for pressure relief and excellent for people who have back pains , they have one major flaw. Motion transfer. When in pregnancy you tend to move around in the bed and also out of it very frequently. Visits to the bathroom, occasional stroll to the fridge and even just waking up to sit down is common among women during pregnancy. What if you were sharing the bed with your partner during these times and had to wake him up every time you had to go to the bathroom or shift positions. This is a problem with hybrid mattresses. Most hybrid mattresses are bouncy. Well I say most because there are a few which are not and are suited for pregnancy. You need to look for a mattress which has the least amount of motion isolation when it comes to hybrid beds. All other factors are just perfect. You have great pressure relief. ITs cooler than the memory foam mattresses and it’s conforming too. But the key is to find a mattress with no motion transfer.
|Pressure Relief||Motion Transfer|
The Saatva mattress is the one mattress which I found interesting. The Luxury hybrid mattress comes with a 15-year warranty and a 120-night trial. It’s one of the best mattresses for back pain related problems and is recommended for people suffering from lower back and hip surgeries. Apart from that, it’s also one of the best hybrid mattresses with the least motion transfer. The saatva mattress comes in 3 firmness levels but the medium-firm is one of the best options for the to be moms and its compatible with adjustable bases.
The Latex mattress is one of the best types of mattress for pregnancy. It also extends towards the rest of your journey as parents. Latex mattresses are not much different from Memory foam mattresses when it comes to features. They are a small upgrade from memory foam mattresses for what lacks in the memory foam mattress is covered in the latex beds.
Think about it, Memory foam mattresses are polyurethane foam. It’s not organic. If that’s a concern, the Latex mattress comes from rubber from real trees. It’s organic in some cases and free from chemicals if you choose the right brand. Memory foam mattresses sleep hot. They trap body heat and are slow to release it. Latex mattresses do not trap as much heat. They are much cooler. And while the memory foam mattresses are conforming, they are also slow to recover where the latex mattresses are easy to recover and offer the same level of conformance as memory foam. In every way, the latex mattress exceeds in quality from memory foam.
So what does a latex mattress lack? The latex mattress, we are talking about the pure latex mattress here, are not as bouncy as you would expect. These mattresses are good but when you put them in comparison with certain hybrid mattresses, It lacks bounce. The good news is that you are not actually looking for a bounce when it comes to a mattress for pregnancy. On the contrary, you are looking for a mattress that has the least motion transfer, and that’s exactly what a pure latex foam or memory foam mattress offers.
Latex mattresses are durable and often exceed the lifespan of a normal memory foam mattress. It does not sag so fast and retains its shape for a longer period of time. Most Latex mattresses come in varying firmness. The Dunlop latex is a lot firmer than the Talalay latex mattresses. Get the firmest mattress you are comfortable on and for most people you could simply go in for the firmest Talalay mattress but if you are a bit on the heavier side, you may want to consider the Dunlop latex mattress.
|No motion Transfer||None (As of yet)|
|Conforming and Pressure relieving|
|Cooler than most mattresses|
Latex for Less
Latex For less mattress is a pure latex mattress with dual side. One side of the mattress is medium firm while the other is firm. The mattress has a simple construction with just 2 layers of latex. One layer of dunlop latex provides a firm feel and the other side with talalay latex provides a medium firm feel. The mattress is compatible with adjustable bases and provides good pressure relief and comfort for those who are pregnant.
Latex For Less Mattress
- Comes in 2 Thickness (9 inch and 7 inch)
- 2 Firmness Levels
- 100% organic and Certified (Oeko-Tex, Certipur)
Plushbeds Botanical Bliss is a pure latex mattress with all natural latex, organic cotton cover. Its compatible with adjustable bases and comes in 3 thickness levels and 2 firmness levels. Its perfect for those who are pregnant. The medium firm mattress is conforming and pressure relieving. Being a pure Latex bed, there is no motion transfer. The mattress comes with a range of certifications along with a 25 year warranty and 100 night trial.
Widest choice of Mattresses, from Memory foam, Latex and Luxury series. The Best Mattresses at affordable price
Memory Foam Mattress
Memory Foam mattresses were one of the most preferred mattresses for pregnancy. They were everything a person could ask for when in pregnancy. Pressure relieving, Comfort to the hips and back, Conforming, Easy on your body and relaxing. There were a few flaws to the memory foam mattress though. The first major problem with memory foam mattresses is that it retains a lot of heat. For a person who will be on bed for a good 12 hours, this is not a healthy option. ITs impossible to stay in bed for more than a few hours, let alone an entire night if the mattress is going to be hot. A mattress is require to maintain a particular temperature and not escalate the temperature based on your body heat. Increased heat will cause interrupted sleep and when pregnant, its important to get enough rest.
Apart from the heat issues, most memory foam mattresses are perfect. To control heat, today most memory foam mattresses come with cooling technologies like gel or graphite infused foam to control the temperature in the mattresses. This effectively makes the mattress cooler and tackles the temperature issues to a good level. If you are one of the few who would like an organic mattress and are in anyways allergic to memory foam mattresses or chemicals involved in it, you may want to consider a latex mattress.
Loom And Leaf
The loom and leaf mattress is a full memory foam mattress by saatva. The Luxury mattress comes with a 15 years warranty and a 120 night trial. IT has charcoal infused foam to control heat. It’s not 100% organic but it’s hypoallergenic and is antibacterial. The Loom and leaf mattress comes in 2 firmness. The mattress is 12 inches in height and can handle a good weight limit of 300lbs.
Loom & Leaf Mattress
- 120 Night Trial
- 15 year warranty
- Cooling Gel
- Organic cotton cover
- Flame retardant
- Free delivery and setup
The Bear mattress is a medium-firm mattress designed for athletes. The mattress helps recover from daily fatigue and helps people who are pregnant. For those who are pregnant, recovery is important and the Bear mattress is designed for it. The mattress is compatible with adjustable bases and comes with celliant covers. The bear mattress comes withs with 10 years warranty and a 100 night trial
20% Off Sitewide + 2 Free Cloud Pillows
Nectar sleep Mattress
The nectar sleep mattress is a firm mattress, suitable for the heavier set of people. ITs conforming, pressure relieving and compatible with adjustable bases. Its also one of the most affordable mattresses in the industry. The nectar sleep mattress comes with 365 night trial and a lifetime warranty. If you opt for a nectar sleep mattress, consider purchasing a pillow top or a topper for a better softer feel.
$399 of Free Accessories with the Nectar Mattress!
What to look for in a Mattress during Maternity
When purchasing a mattress especially for pregnancy, there are specific needs. Every mattress has its particular needs. A guest room mattress need not be a luxury mattress with all the bells and whistles. IT probably is not going to be used a lot. You don’t need to worry about the pressure relief. Most likely you are looking for comfort and something plush. A kid’s mattress may be medium firm to firm, a bit bouncy and not too warm. And what about a mattress when you are pregnant? Here are a few things you need to look at before you purchase a mattress if you are pregnant.
- Support : Your weight is going to be going high and rapidly so. You may go from 55kg to 75 kg in 9 months and that’s a steep rise. Your weight may be more focused on the mid but some on the upper side too. Good support is important for your overall health throughout your pregnancy even with the weight fluctuation.
- Firmness: A mattress may feel and look comfortable if they are plush soft and fluffy but it’s not really supportive and good for your back. A medium-firm mattress is considered to be best when you are pregnant, giving the right pressure throughout the body. This is important to avoid back pain and hip-related problems. It may seem slightly uncomfortable the first few months because your weight has not gained yet but when you start gaining weight, you will appreciate the mattress better over time.
- Cooling: Spending 8 hours in bed continuously will be hard for you over time. Your frequent visits to the bathroom will require that you wake up more often but you don’t want to be disturbed with heat issues in bed. A cooler bed should help you get back to bed faster every time you have to wake up. This helps a lot when you have to stay in bed too. You don’t need to toss and turn due to the heat.
- Motion Transfer: Motion transfer is important for you if you are going to share a mattress with your partner. As partners, we share a lot of work. While pregnant, you may have to wake up several times, it’s not important that you wake your partner up every time you want to visit the loo. Even after pregnancy, you will wake up to feed the baby or clean the nappies. It’s the men who do this task at times and you don’t want to wake up just because he got up to change nappies! You could get a good rest and not know that your partner has just got out of bed because there is no motion transfer.
- Edge Support: Sleeping or laying down in bed is not often the only thing you want to do. There are times when you have to sit down. RElax a bit, get your back some rest, or for whatever reason, just simply sit. Edge support comes in handy at these times. You don’t want to slip out of the bed when you are sitting or sleeping on the edge of the mattress. When you are pregnant, sudden jolts could be really bad for you and your baby. A mattress with good edge support is not just for comfort but also for safety during these times.
- Durability: Your mattress is going to take a beating for 9 months. Its going to be put to test, though not in a really hard way (Like dorm beds Where teenagers are wrestling with it and children’s bed where they jump on it or the young couple who involve in sex). Pregnancy is a period where you spend some good time in bed. There is a lot of tossing and turning. On and off the bedtimes. Shifting positions, Rapid increase in weight, Breakfasts, and snacks in bed. Your mattress needs to go through this tough time and durability is key. Expect your mattress to the last 8-9 years. Anything lesser than that is not good.
- Cost : It does comes to the money at the end. A good mattress sells for $1000 or more. The cost of the mattress is not really related to the quality you get in some cases but in most cases, the competition is so high that they will match or exceed the quality of your mattress to the price. Think of a mattress which sells for $500 as one which is selling to the lower end of the customer base where they are not worried about things like pressure relief or support. They sell more mattresses because its cheaper. Quality is second to the customer when the price is first. When quality is the first factor, there is a competition to deliver better for the least amount. Don’t go for a mattress which is too expensive. Find a mattress which sells between $1000 and $2000 for the best deal
While Mattresses are important, there are accessories which makes sleep interesting. For instance a good pillow can make comfort levels one step higher. A good pillow top could go an extra mile and a good protector could make all the difference between breakfast in bed or not. The accessories you add to your mattress is for comfort, protection for the mattress or simply for the aesthetics. Some of these accessories could add a load of benefits for the ones who are pregnant. Who doesn’t really love an extra pillow? But when you are pregnant, you do find that your feet swell up a lot and you need to raise your feet level when you sleep to get rid of it. If you have an adjustable bed, good for you, otherwise… the pillow is your best savior! Lets check out some of the accessories which can come in handy if you are pregnant.
You would be amazed at how handy pillows come when you are pregnant. Its not just for the comfort or to cuddle on. Pillows can help you sit better in bed, raise your feet up at times of need and add additional comfort to your spine over the course of time. No number of pillows will suffice for some, but we recommend at least 3 if you are pregnant. 2 for the back support and 1 for the feet. If you don’t use it all the time, you can still cuddle on them. When you purchase a pillow at least add one which is supportive for your neck. We recommend the pillow by Nectar sleep which is designed for the right support for your neck and aligns your spine perfectly. Memory foam pillows or latex pillows work great but as much as possible try a latex pillow or a pillow which is cool. Pillows tend to be hot after a few minutes of use. This could result in disturbed sleep which is not ideal.
NEctar pillows are cooler and come with easy to wash covers. It comes in plush and supportive foam. Most pillows don’t come with trials or warranty but the pillows from nectar offers a 50 night trial and a 5 year warranty. ITs one of the best pillows recommended by users.
Most of the time a mattress would be firm the first few days. Over time it will become a bit soft. Toppers can make your mattress a bit softer the first few days and maintain the firmness over time. It’s also comfortable overall to have a topper. Apart from extending the life of your mattress, a topper is excellent if you have to adjust the firmness of your mattress. Professionals will recommend that you purchase a mattress which is firm or medium firm but if you find the mattress too firm for your liking, purchase your mattress rather than hassle with the replacement and purchasing a new mattress.
Some mattresses come with attached toppers while others have a zipper option or a strapped topper which you can attach to your existing mattress. Toppers also come in Memory foam or Latex. Prefer a latex topper as much as possible. If your mattress allows a zipper option, it would be the best. If not, choose a strapped option. Ensure that you get the size of the mattress right before purchasing your topper.
Mattress protectors , though not really important can help you with keeping your mattress stain free. While it’s a factor which is important when you claim for warranty that there are no stains in the mattress, it’s also a question of hygiene. If your mattress is clean , chances are that there will be lesser diseases. When you are pregnant, you want to avoid any kind of illness and every protection should be taken. You may tend to have a meal in bed and if that’s going to result in a few accidents, spilled orange juice or coffee, the mattress will sooner or later be a problem. Mold, or bacteria could present itself in some form and it’s to be avoided at all costs. A mattress protector is a washable sheet , often made of stain free fabric and water resistant. It could add life to your mattress and keep you worry free from warranty problems if it comes to that!
A mattress topper should be waterproof, comfortable and not too noisy. It should not trap heat and should be washable.
You really dont need an adjustable base most of the time. A set of pillows would do the job. An adjustable base is simply more comfortable that propping pillows under your feet or your back. A flick of a button could put you to the most comfortable position in second and all so silently. While adjustable bases were either considered a hospital equipment or a luxury, Most people are going for an adjustable base because its simply comfortable and affordable. Adjustable bases come in a range of varieties and the price range from $400 to $5000. A good one from saatva Mattress ranges from $1200 – $2500. The bear adjustable base costs $1500 and the nectars adjustable base costs around $999 for a queen. The price of the adjustable base depends entirely on the features of the adjustable base itself and the quality. Some of the features you would want to look into while purchasing an adjustable base includes
- Head up and foot up
- Programmable Memory settings
- Night stand friendly
- Under bed light
- Adjustable height
- Zero Noise motor