There are complaints that pillow top mattress sinks in the middle. So what are pillow top mattresses? A pillow top mattress is nothing but a normal mattress on which additional upholstery is stitched on top. It looks like a pillow is placed on top of the mattress. This provides additional plush comfort for the users of this mattress.
Why do Pillow top mattresses sink in the middle?
Newer mattresses last for significantly shorter time than the older mattresses which used to last for 10-20 years. Mattresses these days last for only 7-8 years. There are a number of reasons given for this sinking in the middle.
Nectar Sleep Mattress
Buy Nectar Sleep Mattress. Excellent comfort, Money back guarantee, Longer (365 Days ) trial period. Free deliver and plenty of other offers
- Mattresses manufactured these days are lighter and use less coil and more foam to make them softer. This foam may not be always of good quality making them sink.
- When we lie down on the mattress, we tend to lie down in the same position or same place on the mattress, which makes an impression on the mattress. Due to these reasons, the mattresses tend to sink over time.
- Inadequate center support for the mattress is another reason for the pillow top mattresses sinking in the middle. Since the queen and king size mattresses are pretty large, they must have a strong center support to prevent sinking.
- The box springs that are used to support the mattress may not contain any spring. They could be just metal or wooden frames. In some cases, the springs may be broken or damaged leading to the mattresses sinking in the middle.
- Thicker mattresses like the pillow top mattresses tend to sink over time. Sometimes, the coil springs also weaken and will not spring back to its original position causing the mattresses to sink.
- Finally, the material that is there in the top layer may shift and create a ridge or hump on the mattress.
A few FAQs
Can we fix the sinking in the pillow top mattress that sinks in the middle?
One of the easiest ways to fix the sinking is to put a few flat pillows in places where the mattress sinks. Putting the mattress on the floor might also prevent the mattress from sinking.
What are the precautions that we can take to prevent the pillow top mattress from sinking in the middle?
Regularly flipping or rotating the mattress may help in retaining the shape of the mattress for a longer time though some manufactures claim that their mattresses do not require flipping. A good box spring or metal support under the mattress can protect the mattress and extend its life.
Are the warranty terms applicable for the pillow top mattress?
Usual warranty terms are for 10 years. It is the pillow top mattresses that are plush or super plush that have the maximum amount of sinking. The sinking in firm mattresses is relatively low. The manufacturers usually replace a mattress only if it has sunk 1 ½ to 2 inches. They will also not replace stained mattresses. So it is very important to go through the warranty terms thoroughly before buying a mattress.